Translate

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Journey to Poland (30.-31. Aug.)

Hello one and all.
I've had 3 very busy days since I've arrived to this lovely city of Kołobrzeg, Poland. It is nestled along the sea coast, up in northwestern Poland.


But let me tell you how I got here.

I started at Jacksonville, Florida. I made a connection in Charlotte, North Carolina and Frankfurt, Germany before making it to my final airport in the city of Berlin, Germany.
View over Belgium from my window seat.

From there, I met the other 2 girls who were also going to serve as SMs (Student Missionaries) with me in the same school. We met the driver who was going to pick us up from the airport and drive us straight to the Director of School by the Sea's apartment. Only there was a slight problem . . . He came in a car. We were 3 American girls with (average) of about 3 suitcases each (remember, we're moving to Poland for >9 months!). So, placing ALL our suitcases--and our own selves--in the car, he proved to be a master puzzle-solver! It was quite impressive! What wasn't impressive was traveling in a car like that for a total of 3 hours. We had a 15 min. pit stop at the border of Germany and Poland (use the restroom, stretch our selves, get a snack, exchange currencies, etc.) but that was our half-way point.
Our "van"

Just add 4 people and you'll have our situation.

Once we arrived, we were taken to the director's house--where he cooked and served us some wonderful pierogies and salad. I was so famished, but became stuffed very quickly and VERY happily. Afterwards, we got a walking tour of the place: the office, the school and church (not the same building), and our respective apartments.

The two girls who came with me were placed in the same apartment. I was placed at another apartment with an American girl who's been here since March. She is a Godsend. She's been here, knows the area, knows some of the language and is helping me with it, and so much more.

I think I'm gonna love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment