Translate

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Tea Time for Women's Day (8. March)

Apparently, this is a holiday that was pretty big during the communist times. Why do I say this? I've never heard of this holiday before, until last year when I went to a Cuban church. They were passing out flowers for the men to give the special women in their lives. I asked my dad, and he said, "It's a communist thing."
Knowing what my dad thinks of communism and everything associated with it, I didn't need to ask anything more.


It's still a bit of a big (yet not-so big) deal here in Poland, even though Poland hasn't been communist for about 20 years.

So the 3 younger native English teachers/SMs (Student Missionaries) decided to hold a "tea party" for the ladies of the church, in order to celebrate Women's Day on the Sunday (6. March) right before. Here's how it kinda looked:


We're going in . . .

Photo-area set-up, with self-timer and props

Tea, anyone?

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine . . .

Hand-made decorations of cloth and origami dress & hearts

1 such origami dress, made the the hostesses themselves.

The snack/refreshments table, with the window to the kitchen.

There's something poetic about a rose and a candle.

Some of the ladies

2 very happy ladies

So no one forgets what this is.
LOTS of this went on, plus so much more . . .


Then, on the actual Women's Day, us three girls were surprised by a visit from our director--who brought a bouquet of flowers to each of us!

I must say, this was an absolute first for me.


Said bouquet in my room
Close-up

Too bad the flowers already died. Seriously, sending plants to me are like sentencing them to death. Poor plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment